Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tommy Magness and his Orange Blossom Boys



Here's a good 78 from Tommy Magness. This was recorded for the Blue Ridge label, except not the common Blue Ridge that was owned by Drusilla Adams in North Wilkesboro, NC. This instead is another Blue Ridge label based in Roanoke. In fact, I'm not familiar with any other records that came out on this label. Maybe someone out there can fill in some gaps in this information. For some reason, in the back of my mind I'm thinking that this was recorded in 1947. Regardless of it's date, it's a great record and very representative of the country music in Roanoke, VA at that time.

I'm not sure of all the personnel here, but I know that Clayton and Saford Hall are present. In fact they are the singers on Sitting on Top of the World.

Powhatan Arrow
I'm Sittin' On Top of the World

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Thank you so much for helping to keep the tradional music of my dad's era alive and well.

    My dad was Clayton Hall and, of course, his twin brother, Saford, was my uncle. Tommy Magness was my great-uncle by marriage. Other members of The Orange Blossom Boys included Slim Idaho, Warren Poindexter and Wayne Fleming.

    My son has written a book title "If Trouble Don't Kill Me" due to be on the shelves August 10, 2010 from Crown Publishing. For more information on the book, its author, old tunes and photos, please check out ralphberrier.com.

    Thanks, again!

    Renee Hall Manning

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were my distant cousins My granma was there aunt I love there music ,we have so many musicians in our family I cant count

    ReplyDelete
  3. hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=14131
    Jay Hugh Hall was my grandfather. Very interesting. I look forward to the book mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete